Top Endorsed Squint Treatment In Nigeria
100% painless and stitchless squint treatment in Nigeria. Redesigned with the latest technology, the procedure of the safest squint treatment in Nigeria
- Video consultation for Nigeria patients with the best eye doctors.
- Highly recommended treatment from top-rated Nigerian surgeons.
- Specialized treatment for all eye diseases that include Cataracts, Squint, Glaucoma & Specs Removal.
- World-class eye surgery facilities for Nigerian patients in Nigeria at 1/10th cost.
Book Appointment or Video Consultation online with top eye doctors
The other name for squint is ‘strabismus.’ It is a condition in which there is a difference between the eyes’ alignment. One eyeball focuses at a point in this condition, whereas the other one turns inside, upside, downwards, or outwards. This happens due to the lack of coordination between the muscles controlling the movement of the eye and eyelids. Because of this, the eyes fail to work appropriately and focus at the same point at the same time.
Symptoms Of Squint
Overlapped Or Blurred Images
A Pulling Sensation Around The Eyes
Loss Of Depth Perception
Causes Of Squint
The medical science department has not proved any concrete causes of Squint. Yet after studying many case studies and doing a lot of research, some reasons have been highlighted here:
Poor Vision In One Eye
Types Of Squint
Based on the directions of eye movements, you can categorize squint into four variable types:
When the affected eye turns inwards or towards the nose, it is called Esotropia.
When the affected eye turns outwards, we call it Exotropia.
When the affected eye turns upwards, we call it Hypertropia. The condition marks its beginning when one eye goes higher than the other one.
When the affected eye turns downwards, we call it Hypotropia. The condition occurs when one eye is lower than the other one.
Treatment Options For Squint In Nigeria
There is a wide variety of treatment options available for a squint at Eye Mantra. A brief explanation about each treatment option has been accommodated in the given points:
Eyeglasses Or Contact Lens
People with uncorrected refractive errors use eyeglasses or contact lens as a treatment option for squint. These remedial lenses help the eyes rest for a while as they do not let the eyes put much effort into the focusing role.
This type of method is effective in treating squint as it helps the light to bend and enter the eyes after that. This method is helpful as it reduces the requirement of the eye to look around things.
This is yet another method of squint treatment that involves specific eye exercises that have been proven to be effective in the treatment. Case studies demonstrate that orthoptics is highly efficient in treating convergence insufficiency, a form of exotropia.
This is a category that involves the usage of eye drops or ointments. Along with these types of oral medication, some injections like botulinum toxin type effectively weaken an overactive eye muscle. These medications or injections can be used either individually or as substitutes with any other treatment method available for squint. The usage of these medicines is entirely dependent on the situation of the patient.
This method of squint treatment is proper when the person is suffering from both amblyopia and squint at the same time. This improves the vision, which thereby controls the misalignment of the eye.
Surgery Of Eye Muscles
Surgical methods are proven to be highly reliable in the treatment of squint. The type of surgery to perform depends on the length of eye muscles so that the doctor can align them properly. The surgeries that are used for the treatment of squint are done under the influence of general anesthesia. Sometimes, people are provided well adjustable squint surgeries in which the eye muscles are positioned after every surgery.
Exercises For Squint Treatment
It becomes a crucial decision for us to choose a lens that we want to get inserted in our eye at the time of cataract surgery. We must know about the different types of lenses and their suitability in our eye before getting them inserted:
This is one of the most straightforward workouts that a person can perform for ocular progress. While doing exercise, they can try that both the eyes are directed at the same fixed point. For the activity, you need to follow the given steps:
- Stretch your arm and hold a pencil.
- Make sure that the pencil is pointed away from here.
- Try to focus your eyes on an eraser that is kept aside.
- Bring your pencil gradually towards the bridge of your nose and focus on the same as long as you can.
- Once your vision gets blurry, you need to stop the exercise immediately.
To carry out the exercise of Brock string, you need to follow the given steps:
- Take a string that is 5 feet long and three beads of different colors.
- Tie-down one end of the string to a fixed point like a handrail, a table leg, or the back of a chair. Keep the beads at equal distances.
- Keep holding the other end of the string firmly to your nose.
- You should be noticing a consistent pattern as you shift your focus from bead to bead. The dot you are looking at will appear by itself at the convergence of two identical strings with doubles of the other beads, forming an X.
- Your eyes are not adequately focused on the bead if you see the strings crossing in front of the bead or the back of the bead.
- Ensure that you are getting the X at all beads (except the one at the far end, which will just have the two strings coming out toward you in a V).
This exercise is highly effective in treating exotropia. To perform the same, you need to follow the given steps:
- Firstly, you need to draw three red barrels in increasing order of their lengths on one side of a card.
- Do the same on the other side of the card and use green this time.
- Hold the card lengthwise vertically against your nose in such a manner that the barrel with the highest length is farthest from your nose.
- Place an eye on the far-away barrel until it appears as an image with both colors.
- Try to maintain the gaze for 5 seconds.
- Repeat the process for the middle-sized as well as the smallest images of the barrel.
Squint Surgery In Nigeria
The other name of squint surgery is eye muscle surgery. The procedure for the surgery varies from person to person based on the severity and intensity of the errors caused by a squint. The main objective of performing the surgery is to align the eyes. If the surgery was successful, it reduces the symptoms of squint like double vision, eye fatigue, and strain in the eyes. During the squint surgery, the doctor makes an incision in the white part of the eye and inserts some small instruments in the eyes to realign the muscles. As a result, the eye muscles may shorten, but this indicates better alignment. Once everything goes well, the doctor closes the incision and fixes the relationship between both eyes.
Procedure Of Squint Surgery
With Eye Mantra, it is always a safe procedure to have squint surgery. You do not even have to get yourself admitted to the hospital as it can be done on an outpatient basis. The surgery takes two to three hours on average. The time taken is entirely dependent on the number of muscles that need to be adjusted by the surgeon. Majorly, there are two parts of the eye muscle surgery, which have been accommodated in the given points:
- In the first part, the surgeon detaches the eye muscles. The process is called a recession.
- In the second one, he loosens or tightens the muscles, as per the requirement of the case. The process is called a resection.
Thereafter, he stitched the muscles using dissolvable tissues so that they do not need to be cut after the patient recovers.
Cost Of Squint Surgery In Nigeria
The cost of squint surgery depends on the severity of the case and the no. of muscles on which the operation needs to be done. Here, a table is given below that depicts the varying cost of squint surgery as offered by the top eye hospitals in Nigeria:
|Squint Check Up||500- 1000|
|Squint Orthoptic Exercises||1000-1500|
|Squint Surgery for 1 Muscles||20000-25000|
|Squint Surgery for 2 Muscles||25000-30000|
|Squint Surgery for 3 Muscles||30000-35000|
Eye Mantra foundation provides free squint surgeries for the “underprivileged sections of society” in Nigeria. So anyone who is unable to afford the treatment expenses, can come to our hospital and get this squint surgery done free of cost or at a very nominal price.
Nigeria’s Best Eye Hospital For Squint Surgery
Nigeria has a wide variety of best eye hospitals that provide the facility of squint treatment. Eyemantra Eye Centre is considered to be the best place for squint surgery.
At Eye Mantra, we are a team of experienced ophthalmologists who’re skilled in performing the Squint, LASIK, SMILE, Contoura, and ICL surgeries for everyone who uses spectacles or contact lenses.
If you are not satisfied with the contact lens and need to get freed from wearing glasses, then you can get LASIK laser, SMILE, Contoura Vision, or ICL from Eye Mantra at affordable costs.
Top Squint Surgeons In Nigeria
Exclusive Squint Facilities In Nigeria
Frequently Asked Questions
Squint surgery is quite safe; problems are few and may usually be addressed successfully. General Anaesthesia – The procedure is conducted under general anesthetic, and the risk of complications from the anesthetic is minimal if you are otherwise healthy.
Allow time for the general anesthesia to wear off, but you should be able to return to work two to three days following the procedure. Swimming, contact sports, and strenuous activity must be avoided for two weeks following surgery.
In the vast majority of instances, squint eye surgery is a successful therapy. In certain situations, strabismus surgery can also restore binocular vision and increase the field of view in addition to repairing misaligned eyes. The success rate of squint eye surgery is fairly good, therefore even people in their seventies opt for it.
In fact, most patients only need one corrective operation throughout their lives. If the condition recurs, a trained expert can typically adjust the muscles and restore the patient’s advantage from having straight eyes.
Strabismus has been known as a genetic condition for millennia. Individuals having a family history of squinting might be identified, allowing for targeted screening of a risk group.
Hypertropias and Hypotropias are two types of hypertropias. The words hypertropia and hypotropia relate to vertical squints in which one eye is higher (hypertropia) or lower (hypotropia) than the other. In each of these three categories, there are several different forms of squint, each with its own set of features and therapies.